Send a message to James Murray
About James L. Murray
Lawyers help people solve problems. We often spend long hours working with and listening to our clients. We become very close and invested in our client relationships. It is this relationship with the client that makes our jobs worthwhile.
Recently there was a case where a young mother had lost everything in a house fire. An insurance company refused to pay the claim. After a great deal of discovery and hard work, we prevailed. It was a thrill to tell the client she would be able to rebuild her home and put her life back together.
At work, there is nothing better than helping someone get the justice they deserve.
The legal system is not flawless and the process can be intimidating, but as a lawyer it is a privilege to work within the system to make it work for our clients.
James Murray: After graduating from the Case Western Reserve University Law School, James worked as an Assistant Cuyahoga County Prosecutor. He served on the board of trustees of the Advocates for Basic Legal Equality / Legal Aide of Western Ohio from 2005 to 2014 (Vice President from 2011 – 2014) and is the Vice Chair of the Erie County Democratic Party. Jim currently serves on the Erie County Bar Board of Trustees where he is head of the Admissions Committee. Jim also serves on the board of the Huron Baseball and Softball Program and is active coaching youth baseball and basketball.
- Areas of Practice:
- Plaintiff's Trial Practice
- Personal Injury
- Wrongful Death Actions
- Employment Discrimination
- Insurance Bad Faith
- Breach of Contract
- FELA - Federal Employer Liability Act
- Criminal Defense
- Bar Admissions:
- Ohio, 1997
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Ohio, 1998
- Case Western Reserve University Law School, Cleveland, Ohio, 1997
- Boston College, 1994
- Representative Cases:
- Turner v. Cathedral Ministries, 2015-Ohio-633 (6th App. Dist.)
- Thom v. Perkins Twp., 2012 Ohio App. Lexis 1377 (6th App. Dist.)
- Elevators Mutual Insurance Company v. J. Patrick O'Flaherty's, Inc., 125 Ohio St.3d 362, 2010-Ohio-1043 (Ohio 2010)
- Safeco Ins. Co. of Amer. v. White, 122 Ohio St.3d 562, 2009-Ohio-3718 (Ohio 2009)
- Henney v. Shelby City School District, 2006 Ohio App. Lexis 1251 (5th App. Dist.)
- Professional Associations and Memberships:
- Erie County Bar Association, Chair, Admissions Committee
- Ohio State Bar Association, Member
- Ohio Academy of Trial Lawyers, Member
- Erie County Central Committee, Democratic Party, Vice-Chair
- Advocates for Basic Legal Equality/Legal Aid of Western Ohio, Member of Board of Trustees www.lawolaw.org, Vice President 2011-2014
- Past Employment Positions:
- Cuyahoga County Prosecutor, Assistant, 1998 - 2002
- Cuyahoga County, Adult Felony Trial Division, County Prosecutor
- Cuyahoga County, Juvenile Division, County Prosecutor
- Cuyahoga County, Child Support Division, County Prosecutor
Professional Associations and Memberships: Erie County Bar Association, Chair, Admissions Committee Ohio State Bar Association, Member Ohio Academy of Trial Lawyers, Member Erie County Central Committee, Democratic Party, Vice-Chair Advocates for Basic Legal Equality/Legal Aid of Western Ohio, Member of Board of Trustees www.lawolaw.org, Vice President 2011-2014
Case Western Reserve University Law SchoolJ.D., Law