Send a message to Dennis Murray Sr.
About Dennis E. Murray Sr.
After over 50 years of practicing law, I still remember my first class action lawsuit for the civil rights of women and persons of color. Even though I had just graduated from the University of Michigan Law School, I knew that I wanted to dedicate my career to civil rights in the workplace and stop businesses from cheating employees. That’s my dedication—to give 100% effort to every moment that I work on each case.
“It always seems impossible until you do it.” – Nelson Mandela
Inspiration in life:
My parents, my children, and my grandchildren. I remember learning the importance of family at a young age when my father told me what he did for a living. My father was one of the finest of lawyers, and I could feel how much he was defined not only by what he did in his profession but also by his role within our large family.
When I’m not helping clients:
You can find me on the water or at home cheering on the Browns, Indians, or Cavaliers.
Biggest point of pride:
Clients’ money is no good at Murray & Murray; we don’t get paid until we win a settlement.
My advice for young professionals:
Start each day by tackling the most difficult tasks, always take on the most challenging cases, always give 100%, and always remain loyal to those loyal to you.
I like giving back because:
It is one more of the readily available pleasures in life.
Dennis E. Murray, Sr. and the firm Murray & Murray have remained an integral part of Sandusky, Ohio since 1931, actively supporting community organizations such as Habitat for Humanity, Care and Share, Second Harvest Food Bank, the Sandusky State Theater, and the Sandusky Library.
Areas of Practice
- Plaintiffs' jury trial practice
- Stock/securities litigation
- Bad faith insurance company litigation
- Class actions
- Personal injury
- Wrongful death
- Complex litigation
- Certified Public Accountant
- Michigan, 1963, inactive
- Ohio, 1964
- Florida, 1967, inactive
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Ohio, 1965
- U.S. Court of Appeals 6th Circuit, 1966
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1971
Honors & Awards
- Best Lawyers in America®, Civil Rights Law, Commercial Litigation, 2018 – present
- Selected for inclusion in the Ohio Super Lawyers® list, 2013 – 2019
- Toledo Business Journal's Who's Who in Toledo Area Law, 2014 – 2019
- Crew's Nest, member
- Dock of the Bay, member
- Plum Brook, member
- St. Peter Church, Huron, parishioner
- Theme park enthusiast
- Johnson v. Midland Credit Management, Inc., Case No. 1:05-CV-1094 (N.D.Ohio, Dec. 12, 2013)
- Arlington Video, Inc. v. Fifth Third Bancorp, 515 Fed. Appx. 426 (6th Cir. 2013)
- Jones v. Sandusky County, Ohio, 541 Fed. Appx. 653 (6th Cir. 2013)
- Oatman v. InfoCision, Inc., et al., 2013 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 106453 (N.D. Ohio 2013)
- Vassalle v. Midland Fundind, LLC, 2011 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 90278 (N.D. Ohio 2011)
- Franklin v. Midland Funding, LLC, 2011 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 89919 (N.D. Ohio 2011)
- Stammco LLC v. United Telephone Co. of Ohio, 125 Ohio St.3d 91 (Ohio 2010) http://www.ohiochannel.org/MediaLibrary/Media.aspx?fileId=138130
- Safeco Ins. Co. of Amer. v. White, 122 Ohio St.3d 562, 2009-Ohio-3718 (Ohio 2009)
- Midland Funding, L.L.C. v. Brent, 644 F. Supp.2d 961 (Northern District of Ohio 2009)
- Della Bovi v. Pacific Indemn. Co., 85 Ohio St.3d 343 (Ohio 1999)
- Cope v. Metro Life Ins. Co., 82 Ohio St.3d 426 (Ohio 1998)
- Weston v. Weston Paper & Meg. Co., 74 Ohio St.3d 377 (Ohio 1996)
- Roberts v. United States Fid. & Guar. Co., 75 Ohio St.3d 630 (Ohio 1996)
- McConocha v. Blue Cross & Blue Shield Mut. Of Ohio, 930 F. Supp 1182 (N.D.Ohio 1996)
- Zappo v. Homestead Insurance Company, 71 Ohio St.3d 552 (Ohio 1994)
- Borsick V. State Farm Fire & Cas. Co., 68 Ohio St.3d 1221 (Ohio 1994)
- Leber v. Smith, 70 Ohio St.3d 548 (Ohio 1994)
- Phung v. Waste Management, 71 Ohio St.3d 408 (Ohio 1994)
- Polikoff v. Adam, 67 Ohio St.3d 100 (Ohio 1993)
- Borsick v. State Farm Mut. Auto. Ins. Co, 68 Ohio St.3d 81 (Ohio 1993)
- Motorist Mut. Ins. Co. v. Said, 63 Ohio St.3d 690 (Ohio 1992)
- Stepak v. Schey, 51 Ohio St.3d 8 (Ohio 1990)
- Dowling v. Narragansett Capital Corp., 735 F.Supp. 1105 (DRI 1990)
- State, ex. Rel. Ohio Co. v. Maschari, 51 Ohio St.3d 18 (Ohio 1990)
- Digital v. Analog Design Corp. v. North Supply Co., 44 Ohio St.3d 36 (Ohio 1989)
- Miller v. Wikel Mfg. Co., Inc., 46 Ohio St.3d 76 (Ohio 1989)
- Crosby v. Beam, 47 Ohio St.3d 105 (Ohio 1989)
- Carney v. McAfee, 35 Ohio St.3d 52 (Ohio 1988)
- Warner v. Waste Management, Inc., 36 Ohio St.3d 91 (Ohio 1988)
- Armstrong v. Marathon Oil Co., 32 Ohio St.3d 397 (Ohio 1987)
- Phung v. Waste Management, Inc., 23 Ohio St.3d 100 (Ohio 1986)
- Bolling v. Clevepak Corp., 484 N.E.2d 1367 (Ohio App. 6 Dist. 1984)
- Yeager v. Local Union 20, 6 Ohio St.3d 369 (Ohio 1983)
- Ruta v. Breckenridge-Remy Co., 69 Ohio St.2d 140 (Ohio 1982)
- Ohio State Bar Association
- Erie County Bar Association
- The Ohio Association for Justice
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- Ohio Society of Certified Public Accountants
- Injury Board
College of the Holy CrossB.S.
The University of Michigan Law SchoolJ.D., Law